Cancer prevention

If 5 to 15% of cancers are genetic, that leaves 85% or more cancers which are caused by lifestyle and environmental factors. If we want to prevent cancer, our best bet is to focus on being healthy instead of focusing on the fear of getting cancer.

Our bodies are assaulted every day by foreign chemicals in food, water, and air. We also make bad chemicals inside our bodies when we have negative emotions such as anger, anxiety, guilt, worry, and negative stress. Our job is to provide a balance so our bodies can function properly and recover from these assaults.

If we want to prevent cancer or any other condition such as diabetes or heart disease, we need to focus on doing what it takes to be well. If we are in our best possible state of wellness, these diseases will be kept under control and we can live in good health for the most part.

I took my health for granted before I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1986 and colon and skin cancer in 1987. I figured that I was too young to get cancer, and I would pay more attention to my health as I got older.

I’ve learned that the effort to be well is less than the effort required to be ill. Since I’m a bit lazy it suits me fine now to put my effort, time, and money into wellness rather than illness.

Most people know what it takes to be well – the trick is to want to do it enough to make some simple lifestyle choices. There are 4 areas which form the basic pillars of wellness: healthy eating, regular activity, adequate sleep & deep relaxation, and good stress management. Any one can choose to improve their wellness if they make it a priority.

Making healthy lifestyle choices is simple and with a coach it can also be easy. Support systems make the difference between success and the need to try again. Coaches can be friends, family or professional wellness coaches.

I learned much from having cancer and I want to share what I’ve learned with people who want to improve their wellness. My coaching business is called Start Here and Go Forward because I think it’s important to focus on where you’re at right now and where you want to go. If you want to Start Here and Go Forward to wellness, I will be your partner in health.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: